Is This the Answer?

Just showing up?

???????????????????????????????A kitchen photo studio

Maybe the answer is not trying to be profound. Maybe the answer is just showing up.

What was the question? Oh yes. How to be an artist.

Yesterday I showed up in the kitchen. With my second easel, rescued from its languishing and dusty state in the back porch, where it landed when I shut down my Grasslands Gallery studio corner. With a few stems of flowers and my camera. With the idea of finding out what the light through that window might offer.

Beautiful sun. Though my house, where my studio is located, is bright, it doesn’t get a lot of direct sunlight. In the blazing days of summer I’m grateful for this. In the deep of January I could stand a little more.

Yesterday the kitchen was bright. Warm rays lit everything. I set up some simple still lifes with the easel as support and took their pictures.

Today I’m going to choose one image and start one painting. Profound isn’t required. Showing up is.

What are you showing up for?

*   *   *

Know someone who’d like to see this? Please feel free to pass it on!

The blog is a series of posts from one artist’s life. To receive updates, just put your email in the box on the right. Your email address will never be shared.

8 Responses to Is This the Answer?

1. Jeanne Apelseth January 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm #

Your post…perfect timing, as usual….Can’t wait to see your new painting. 🙂

2. Laureen January 14, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

Thank you! Very nice to think of showing up accidentally “perfect” 🙂

3. Anne Conway January 14, 2015 at 5:33 pm #

Just showing up: yup, it’s the first, hardest step. We have arrived at our little Florida house, and I have just set up a still-life on the night-table between the beds in our guest room. Tiny physical space (it’s like trying to paint with your elbows tied to your sides!) but there’s lots of space for imagining…then the next stage is to just show up again and again and again. i’m working on it!
    Anne

• Laureen January 14, 2015 at 6:35 pm #

Space for imagining – how nice to hear from you 🙂 Good luck with everything you show up for!

4. Louise in SW Saskatchewan January 14, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

I’ve set up my quilt frame in frint of the picture window that faces east (FINALLY). Showing up to do hand quilting in natural daylight for several hours a day gives me incentive to do other things.

5. Laureen January 14, 2015 at 7:42 pm #

Sounds wonderful. May the light be with you!

6. Melissa Dinwiddie January 18, 2015 at 6:41 am #

Amen, amen, amen. It’s amazing what happens when we just show up. 🙂 I’ve been showing up for painting lately, too, which makes me so happy… even though some days I’m not happy with what I painted. I trust that something I like will emerge eventually.

As I like to say, we need crap to fertilize the good stuff.

So I show up. I take care of the quantity and let the Universe take care of the quality. 🙂

7. Laureen January 18, 2015 at 5:33 pm #

When things are going well, I find it easy to trust. When they aren’t, not so much. Then it’s even more important that I keep showing up. Because in the end, it’s the only way to find a way through.

Sounds like life!