How to be an artist

It isn’t an instruction. It’s a question…

July 1-b-web

The hills of home

I’ve lived here for five years. Val Marie, Saskatchewan, gateway to Grasslands National Park, one of Canada’s most beautiful and remote regions. For most of that time I’ve operated Grasslands Gallery, with gorgeous and original art and craft by about 25 artists, inspired by the Grasslands experience. On Saturday this week, the gallery closes permanently. No one person can do everything and I’ve decided it’s time for me to focus on my own painting. The decision wasn’t arrived at lightly or quickly, but I know it’s the right one to make. The time and energy that went to promoting and selling the art of others will go into creating and marketing my own.

So what happens when you become a full time artist? An all-the-time, no-excuses artist? How do you really make it work?

Over the next weeks and months, I’ll find out. The intention, the commitment, the action, the money. Please join me. We’ll explore this together.

8 Responses to How to be an artist

1. Lynne August 28, 2014 at 8:33 pm #

Hey Laureen,

Big changes for all since Circe’s Circle…especially you! Wow – congratulations. I’d love to follow your blog. I’m very interested in how to make the full time artist thing work because that’s pretty much the dream I’m following as well.

When I tried to subscribe by your RSS I get an error. I’d love it if you could send me an email when it’s working!

I’m looking forward to both our journey’s! 🙂

• Laureen August 28, 2014 at 11:40 pm #

Thank you Lynn! I didn’t even know there was a subscribe link 🙂 Will work at getting that fixed.

2. Pam August 28, 2014 at 11:23 pm #

Hi,
    How do you sign up for email notification for your blog?
    When I clicked on the subscribe feed, it was a podcast sign up.
    Thanks

• Laureen August 28, 2014 at 11:39 pm #

Sorry for the non-working subscribe link. Hope to get it fixed this week!

3. dee H-S August 29, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

Hey Laureen, I totally get it, although I mourn the closure of your gorgeous gallery. You have made a solid choice in favour of your own muse. Congrats and good luck! xxoo

• Laureen August 29, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

Thanks for your kind words. Here’s to muses!

4. Ronna September 6, 2014 at 2:08 am #

As you ask the question about living your life as an artist, I ask myself about living my life as an author accepting that an “all the time, no excuses” author is likely still a year away. I look forward to a window into your experience as i envision as parallel process.
    Let us know how we can support this next chapter of your life.

Ronna

• Laureen September 7, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks so much! As I work through the process and all it entails, I look forward to hearing more from everyone who feels this is a part of who you are 🙂